Psycho Director's Cut on TV?
Apparently there's a Psycho Director's Cut out in the wild that has more footage than the soon to be released remastered DVD edition and it's just been shown on German television.
The scenes in question have been captured and examined online for comparison and although the cuts are small, they are there none the less and were made to ensure the film passed the Hays code.
The cuts apparently amount to a little over eighteen seconds, but they were made none the less and in a few key scenes.
- We seem Marion undressing and Bates spying on her for about five seconds longer
- Bates examines his bloody hands after murdering Marion
- Another scene shows him washing his hands clean of blood
- A small cut of a man letter writing
- The murder of a man on the stairs seems to be a bit more violent
It's an interesting comparison, even if translation sites make a meal of the text, and I'd like to see a better translated version – if any English-German readers are out there then your task is in hand.
Video Watchblog received the tip from a reader and are asking that Universal take these extra scenes and restore them to the film. I'd agree, but if they do, please leave the original version on there too for a direct comparison, that would make for an excellent Psycho DVD release don't you think?
Would anyone else like to see these scenes restored for the upcoming remastered DVD release of Psycho?