Stalker's Top Ten 2011: Matt Adcock's Insightful Dialogue Moments
Well I'm calling it a year on the Stalker's Top Ten's for 2011, mainly because I'm now out of them, and also because I like ending them on a high, and Matt Adcock always does provide a good list.
This year he's decided to select the Top Ten Insightful Dialogue Moments of 2011, and he's watched a fair bit to get those ten moments of dialogue, and he has some corkers in there. He's also managed to hit what I would consider to be the number one of recent months, I say that because I'm not going through the year to judge them, no, Matt's done that for us.
So here's to 2011, which is almost over in terms of awards but is definitely over in terms of the Stalker's Top Ten's. You can see them all, including previous years, right here on the Filmstalker Stalker's Top Lists.
Now, it just remains for me to say 1, 4 and 9 and hand over to the as always excellent Top Ten production of Matt Adcock, who you can catch also over on his own site Dark Matters. Matt, take it away:
I love putting together top ten lists of the year, which is why I love Filmstalker and the fact that they such a varied bunch from their readers.
In 2011 I started working for the London School of Theology so this year's list is my Insightful Dialogue Moments (IDMs) from films this year.
Words to ponder, challenge or just make you smile and be glad you're alive…
10. "I wanted to be loved because I was great; A big man. I'm nothing. Look at the glory around us; trees, birds... I lived in shame. I dishonoured it all, and didn't notice the glory. I'm a foolish man."
The Tree of Life
9. "This is too much madness to explain in one text!"
Attack the Block
8. "You can't solve all the world's problems with a shotgun."
Hobbo with A Shotgun
7. "I want you to fire the fat people. They're lazy and they're slow and they make me sad to look at."
6. "Satan is simply the warden of a very large prison. Quiet man actually, thoughtful and he's well read. And I happen to know the idea of sacrificing children in his honour annoys him greatly."
5. "Rape, torture, fire, animals, religion. Am I missing anything?"
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo
4. "You can deny angels exist, convince ourselves they can't be real. But they show up anyway, at strange places and at strange times. They can speak through any character we can imagine. They'll shout through demons if they have to. Daring us, challenging us to fight."
Sucker Punch (Filmstalker review)
3. "It just seems so unfair God. Other people have goodness, they have good things, they have love and tenderness, people who care about their lives. Not humiliated at every turn. Other people have things, even the starving children in Africa, even their parents love them. Why was I so unlucky, to have my soul born into this disgusting me? This ugly face, this hair, this hair that doesn't comb, and this dumb idiotic personality?"
2. "They are bad people - they should suffer!"
Kill List (Filmstalker Review)
1. Driver: "My hands are a little dirty."
Bernie Rose: "So are mine."
Drive (Filmstalker review)
That's it, that's all Matt wrote, and can you blame him? That's a cracking list of dialogue from some recent films don't you agree? Can you think of any others that could compliment the list?
Meanwhile, catch up on what you might have missed with the other Stalker's Top Lists for this year and previous, there are some corkers in there.